Tehran: Iran has announced a controversial financial reward for capturing or killing U.S. military personnel, further escalating the already intense confrontation between Tehran and Washington. Iran’s Army Commander-in-Chief, Major General Amir Hatami, said on August 16 that anyone who kills or captures an “invading American military personnel” and hands them over would receive a reward equivalent to $30,000, or 5 billion Iranian tomans.
The announcement was reported by Iran’s official IRNA news agency and subsequently carried by international media, including AFP. Hatami said the proposal had been prepared following what he described as a large number of requests from people seeking to participate in what Iranian authorities have termed financial support for the war effort.
🚨 NOW: Iran appears to threaten DONALD TRUMP’S LIFE again
It won’t work!
Top Iran official: POTUS should be thinking about securing his own safety.
Iran is raging publicly, threatening fees in the Strait again and placing a $30K BOUNTY on capturing American personnel as well… pic.twitter.com/rjuGqe6oqD
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) August 17, 2026
Double Reward for Iranian Women
Hatami added that Iranian women who succeed in capturing or killing a U.S. service member would receive twice the reward. That would put the announced incentive at approximately $60,000, or 10 billion tomans, according to the figures cited by Iranian state media.
Iranian reports also said the reward would apply regardless of which Iranian security or military formation was involved, with reports mentioning the Army, Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Basij, law-enforcement forces and other Iranian personnel or participants. Hatami further spoke of plans for a museum where weapons allegedly used against American forces could be displayed.
Iran offers $30,000 bounty for killing US soldiers and doubles it for female fighters
READ: https://t.co/OW740t2EYvhttps://t.co/OW740t2EYv
— WION (@WIONews) August 16, 2026
Announcement Comes Amid Escalating US-Iran Tensions
The announcement comes against the backdrop of a broader and increasingly dangerous military confrontation between Iran and the United States. U.S. forces have been operating across the Middle East, while Iran has repeatedly demanded that American forces leave the region and has issued increasingly strong warnings over U.S. military activity around the Strait of Hormuz.
The latest bounty announcement is particularly significant because it publicly places a financial incentive on attacks against individual U.S. service members. However, reports noted that there has been no known deployment of U.S. ground troops inside Iran during the current conflict, apart from a rescue mission connected with a downed American airman in April. Hatami did not specify where or when the proposed capture or killing of American personnel would take place.
The development follows earlier deadly clashes involving U.S. forces in the region. In July, American service members were killed in an Iranian strike on Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan, according to U.S. authorities. Reuters also reported that 17 U.S. service members were killed during a particularly deadly period of the conflict in July.
A Major Escalation in Rhetoric
The $30,000 announcement represents more than simply a financial incentive. It signals a further hardening of Iran’s public military rhetoric at a time when the two countries remain locked in a dangerous confrontation.
The timing is also notable because Iran and the United States have exchanged increasingly aggressive statements over American military deployments and the strategic Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy corridors. Any further attacks targeting U.S. personnel could increase the risk of retaliation and widen the conflict across the Middle East.
For now, the Iranian announcement remains primarily a declared policy and incentive; Iranian authorities have not publicly provided operational details on how such rewards would be administered or verified. The announcement, however, has already drawn international attention because of its explicit call for the capture or killing of U.S. military personnel.

