TMC Hit by Major Blow as Jahangir Khan Withdraws From Falta Repoll Before Voting

TMC Hit by Major Blow as Jahangir Khan Withdraws From Falta Repoll Before Voting
74 / 100 SEO Score

Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress (TMC) suffered a major political embarrassment ahead of the crucial Falta repoll after its candidate Jahangir Khan withdrew from the contest just a day before voting, triggering fresh political turmoil in the South 24 Parganas Assembly segment.

The repoll in Falta is scheduled to be held on May 21 after the Election Commission ordered fresh voting across the constituency following allegations of electoral irregularities, booth capturing, and intimidation during polling held on April 29.

The development comes at a politically sensitive time for the TMC, months after the party suffered a heavy defeat in the West Bengal Assembly elections, where the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) significantly expanded its influence across the state.

Jahangir Khan, widely regarded as a close associate of TMC national general secretary Abhishek Banerjee, announced his withdrawal while publicly backing Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari and his development agenda for Falta.

“I have always dreamt of a prosperous Falta. Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for the constituency, so I have decided to withdraw from the repolling,” Jahangir said while announcing his decision.

BJP Targets TMC Over Withdrawal

Jahangir’s sudden exit has dramatically altered the political contest involving the BJP, Communist Party of India (Marxist), and the Congress.

The BJP wasted little time in attacking the TMC leadership over the development. BJP IT Cell head Amit Malviya took a swipe at Abhishek Banerjee’s much-publicised “Diamond Harbour Model.”

“What happened to the infamous ‘Diamond Harbour Model’? Did the model collapse the moment voters were finally given a fair chance to speak?” Malviya wrote on X.

Political observers noted that the withdrawal came days after reports emerged that sections of the TMC leadership had distanced themselves from Jahangir’s campaign. At the same time, Suvendu Adhikari intensified campaigning for BJP candidate Debangshu Panda ahead of the repoll.

TMC Distances Itself From Jahangir’s Move

Reacting to the controversy, TMC leader Kunal Ghosh questioned whether pressure tactics and fear had influenced the withdrawal.

Later, the party officially clarified that Jahangir Khan’s decision was personal and not linked to the organisation.

“The decision taken by Jahangir Khan to withdraw from the Falta re-poll is his personal decision and not that of the party,” the TMC said in a statement.

The party further accused the BJP of using agencies and the administration to intimidate opposition workers.

“Even in the face of such pressure, our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation unleashed through agencies and the administration. However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field. We strongly condemn this,” the statement added.

The TMC also asserted that its political battle against the “Bangla Birodhi BJP” would continue both in West Bengal and at the national level.

High Court Relief Before Repoll

The controversy surrounding the Falta repoll intensified earlier this week after the Calcutta High Court granted Jahangir Khan protection from “coercive action” till May 26 in connection with multiple pending FIRs, allowing him to remain eligible to contest the repoll.

The Election Commission had ordered the repoll after receiving complaints of alleged voter intimidation, booth interference, and attempts to manipulate the electoral process during the April 29 polling.

With Jahangir Khan now out of the race, the Falta repoll has turned into a high-voltage political contest, with both the BJP and TMC trading sharp accusations ahead of voting day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *