News Desk: The United States has approved a potential $108.1 million military support package for Ukraine aimed at sustaining the Hawk Missile System, even as Kyiv intensifies attacks on Russian military infrastructure in occupied territories.
The US State Department announced on Thursday that the proposed package includes equipment and support services for the Hawk air defence system, a move seen as part of Washington’s continued effort to strengthen Ukraine’s defensive capabilities against Russian assaults.
The development comes amid claims by Ukraine that its forces carried out major strikes against Russian targets in eastern and southern occupied regions.
🚨💥 US approves $108M arms sale to Ukraine
The State Department confirmed the sale of the HAWK air defense maintenance equipment.
The HAWK entered service in 1959 and was decommissioned in the 1990s. https://t.co/AueRiNJRpY pic.twitter.com/57G8PpVKCP
— Sputnik (@SputnikInt) May 22, 2026
According to the commander of Ukraine’s Unmanned Systems Forces, one of the attacks targeted a Russian drone pilot training camp in the occupied town of Snizhne. Kyiv claimed the strike killed at least 65 cadets and one instructor earlier this week.
In another operation, Ukrainian forces reportedly struck a Russian security service headquarters and an air defence system in the occupied Kherson region. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the attacks resulted in more than 100 Russian personnel being killed or injured.
Ukraine Tightens Border Security Near Belarus
Amid fears of a possible renewed northern offensive, Ukraine has stepped up security measures in regions bordering Belarus, Russia’s key ally and a staging ground for Moscow’s 2022 invasion.
Ukraine’s Security Service (SBU) said enhanced security operations are underway across northern regions, including intensified checks on individuals, vehicles, and properties.
The agency said the measures are intended to deter any “aggressive actions or operations” by Russia and its allies.
🇺🇸 Le département d’État américain a approuvé la vente potentielle de matériel à l’#Ukraine pour un montant de près de 108 millions de dollars, destiné à la maintenance du système de missiles de défense aérienne Hawk. pic.twitter.com/fiSCIjJmNU
— RT en français (@RTenfrancais) May 22, 2026
Kyiv has repeatedly warned in recent weeks that Russia could once again use Belarusian territory to launch attacks, including potential operations targeting the Ukrainian capital.
Russia Accuses Ukraine of Planning Drone Attacks From Latvia
Meanwhile, geopolitical tensions widened after Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) accused Ukraine of planning drone strikes on Russian territory using neighbouring Latvia as a launch base.
In a statement issued earlier this week, the SVR alleged that Latvia had agreed to allow Ukrainian forces to operate drones from within its territory despite the risk of retaliation from Moscow.
However, Latvian officials strongly rejected the accusations, calling them “disinformation” linked to the ongoing war narrative surrounding Ukraine.

